What are you looking for?
Yves Dana (1959 - )
Dana received a degree in Sociology from the University of Lausanne in 1978, then graduated from the School of Fine Arts of Geneva in 1981.
Dana held his inaugural exhibition in 1982 whereby he produced his earliest works consisting of large acoustic and mechanical structures. He worked in this style until 1996, where after revisiting Egypt during a six-month trip, he began to create minimalist, hierarchic bronzes. Using his sculptural expertise, Dana has unconventional ways of crafting his sculptures. For example, when using Basalt – the strongest of stones preferred by the Egyptian pharaohs – he crafts the stone using a diamond cutting machine.
He currently lives and works between two workshops, his primary workshop in The Orangery in Lausanne, Switzerland, and a second in the “sculpture capital,” Pietrasanta in Tuscany, Italy. The Orangery is a nineteenth century building considered to be of national heritage with large ceilings which allow the artist to create vast sculptures. He imports various materials such as limestone, serpentine and diabase. The extraordinary history of his homeland continues to serve as inspiration.
During the last 40 years, Dana has participated in more than 40 solo exhibitions and more than a hundred collective exhibitions, typically accompanied by publications. The artist’s work has been presented regularly in Switzerland, Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, England, Singapore, Japan, and the United States, most notably at the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao and the Pomodoro Foundation in Milan (2008).
His works are part of prestigious permanent collections globally, including collections of important architects such as Kengo Kuma, Mario Botta and Bernard Tschumi.